An Integrated University Management System provides real time information processing and knowledge management. It is an integrated solution that facilitates the processing and maintenance of large volumes of information – including student, faculty, transport, staff details, and payroll and student fees among various departments in an institution.
IUMS practically covers the entire area of operations and automation of the university. The system not only helps in daily operations of the university, but also provides the foundation to foster research and development on e-learning methodologies. IUMS is powered with user-friendly reports and user-interface thereby ensuring maximum user efficiency. The main focus is on the integration of different departments for better university administration.
The client was a government regulated university located in remote area. The campus was spread across a huge area and included several different colleges and faculties. Due to the location and extent of the campus, information flow between departments and faculties was very slow and inefficient and so the client wanted a centralized database accessible by staff, teachers, students and management. The main objectives of the application were:
- Improve interaction among different departments
- Easy access to information
- Increase transparency & efficiency
- Convenient and cost-effective administration
- Increase operational efficiency
- Minimize cost
- Better delivery of services
- Increase credibility and goodwill
- The remote location of university posed challenge in elicitation process
- Different departments used different standards and processes
- Huge database of employees and their personal/financial details needed to be created
- Application data security concerns to be addressed as confidential financial data was involved
- The IT infrastructure and internet connection was not dependable and maintenance was slow
- Some facilities did not have any IT resource or proper internet connection
- The end users were not trained in IT and were reluctant to adapt to a new system
- Tight deadlines were to be followed for delivery of application
We setup an elicitation team on site to co-ordinate with offsite development team for requirement gathering. An agile methodology was followed for development so that feedbacks could be analyzed and changes were incorporated quickly. All stakeholders were engaged and a common minimum format was collated. The existing infrastructure of the university was analyzed and all options evaluated.
We developed the application using framework and content management system (Drupal) for rapid development and easy update. The user interface was kept minimal and simple. The application was integrated with the university’s website for seamless navigation0. User roles and access permissions were defined and application was hosted on client’s server with encryption and firewall for enhanced data security. Various utilities were created for creating database and security measures were incorporated. Some application modules were to be hosted on intranet and others online based on availability of resource and infrastructure. Trainings and demonstrations for staff was organized and elaborative manuals were created for handholding.
“Web Geometrics team has consistently worked with our employees and raised the standard of services at BAU by automating our processes. It has given a great boost to our e-governance initiative”